Made in USA: Wal-Mart inks deal with American toy maker
Boxing promoters have perpetually gone after amateur boxers in an attempt to get them to skip the Olympic route. For years, promoters have used everything from Muhammad Ali throwing his gold medal into the Ohio River to the image of Roy Jones Jr. standing next to a ref as he lifted the arm of Park Si-Hun in the Seoul Olympics (considered by many as one of the most corrupt moments in Olympic history) as examples of the unimportance of the Olympics in the arc of one’s career. More recently, promoters simply need to run off the names of top boxers who didn’t need an Olympic medal to succeed as a pro — Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, Juan Manuel Marquez, Adrien Broner, Timothy Bradley — to prove that participating in the Olympics is as useful as an iPhone 3GS. After Athens 2004, USA Boxing had been able to say to every American who has thought about joining them: “Look at Andre Ward’s career, and we’ll show you how Ward benefited from being in the Olympics.” But when a country goes through an entire Olympics as the United States did at London 2012 and returns without a single medal, the sell gets difficult. Tyson is doing nothing different from any other promoter in the game since boxing became a free enterprise for promotion and hype. Boxing promoters from Butch Lewis to Bob Arum have always “poached” boxers they feel can make them money sooner rather than later. It’s their way of building a relationship with a boxer before anyone else has the chance. That’s kinda always been part of the (shady) business side of boxing. For USA Boxing to start bitching now is laughable. It reeks of an organization that is panicking.
Philip Morris USA Remains Committed to Defending Engle Cases Following U.S. Supreme Court Decision
Unable to build any momentum in recent games, the Galaxy finds itself in a logjam in the MLS Western Conference, with eight of its nine teams still in playoff contention. The top five teams in the standings after the regular season make the playoffs, and the only club that’s not in contention is last-place Chivas USA (6-17-8), which the Galaxy plays Sunday at StubHub Center. Entering Saturday’s play, the Galaxy (13-11-6) was tied with the Colorado Rapids for fourth place with 45 points. That was only six points behind the two teams tied for first place, Real Salt Lake and the Seattle Sounders, and four points behind the third-place Portland Timbers. And the San Jose Earthquakes , Vancouver Whitecaps and FC Dallas were five points or less behind the Galaxy and Colorado. With a win worth three points to each club, the standings could change quickly in the next few weeks. As Galaxy midfielder Marcelo Sarvas told the team’s website last week, “We have to get points because we’re very close to [playoff] heaven and yet very close to hell.” This will be the Galaxy’s third and final game of the regular season against Chivas USA whose home venue also is StubHub Center in what’s dubbed the SuperClasico series. The Galaxy is the designated home team for this 2 p.m. game (televised on Time Warner Cable SportsNet and UniMas, and carried on AM radio at 1150 and 1330). After a 3-0 win over San Jose on Aug. 31, the Galaxy went all September without a victory.
USA Boxing sucker-punches Tyson
A company that makes battery-operated toys that children can ride on says it will open a manufacturing plant at Rogers and hire 74 workers who will build products exclusively for Wal-Mart. Redman & Associates says it will invest $6.5 million in the plant at an average hourly wage of $18. Beginning in 2014, the factory will make 6-volt battery-powered ride-on toys that will feature characters from Disney and the Marvel franchises. In remarks prepared for delivery, Wal-Mart U.S. president Bill Simon said a company goal has been to “revitalize” American manufacturing. Gov. Mike Beebe, also in prepared remarks, touted Arkansas as an affordable business location. Wal-Mart has said it wanted to buy an additional $50 million worth of U.S.-made goods over the next decade. 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Popular on MoneyWatch
Supreme Court Decision * Reuters is not responsible for the content in this press release. Mon Oct 7, 2013 10:47am EDT Philip Morris USA Remains Committed to Defending Engle Cases Following U.S. Supreme Court Decision The United States Supreme Court today in the Douglas case denied a request from Philip Morris USA (PM USA) and other tobacco companies to review the constitutionality of the trial structure being used in the Engle progeny cases in Florida. Todays decision does not diminish our ability to put forth a vigorous defense, said Murray Garnick, senior vice president and associate general counsel, Altria Client Services, speaking on behalf of PM USA. We have strong legal and factual defenses and remain committed to defending ourselves in each of these cases. Although we are disappointed by the decision, we will continue to challenge the constitutionality of these trials as appropriate, added Garnick. Even under the current rulings, we have demonstrated our ability to manage these cases over the last five years. Not only has a substantial number of cases been dismissed or otherwise resolved before trial, but juries have returned verdicts in favor of PM USA in approximately half of its cases tried to verdict. The so-called Engle progeny cases stem from a 2006 Florida Supreme Court decision that decertified a class action but allowed former class members to file individual lawsuits and rely on general findings from the first class action. The case is Douglas v. Philip Morris USA et al. Philip Morris USA